Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I had cancer.

Well, it's been a long time, but I'm back! This past year has been a whirlwind as I've had several projects keeping me away from blogging. I spent a lot of time styling my dollhouses for photo shoots and magazine interviews. I was featured in The Dolls' House Magazine Sept 2015 issue, Bust Magazine Dec/Jan 2016 and Dolls Magazine March 2016. I'll be posting photos from these interviews over the next few weeks.

"Meet The Grown-Ass Ladies Making Tiny Dollhouses": Anna-Maria from The Shopping Sherpa, Christine from Call of the Small, Emily from Go Haus Go and myself were featured in a fantastic article on modern dollhouses written by Johanna Gohmann for BUST Magazine. It's a great read; you can check out the full article here.

Last month, I had a film crew come to my house to film my collection and interview me for a video series called "My Design Life" for Mode.com. I'll post more on that when the video is released.


For the past 9 years, I had been happily working from home for a small web design company, but my dream job found me and I went back to work full-time again. The new schedule has been quite an adjustment for my family. I'm out of the house by 7am and then back home with the kids at 6:30pm, make dinner, check their homework, and often fall asleep at 9pm when my daughter asks me to cuddle with her. I was exhausted. As it turns out I had cancer. 6 weeks after I started my dream job at Pandora Radio I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I started another blog Cancer Free Countdown to document my journey and keep family and friends updated. Amazingly, it was stage 1 and the cancer hadn't metastasized. I had a mastectomy in February and just last week I had my final reconstruction surgery.

As much as I'm still obsessed with miniatures, they have definitely taken a back seat. I'm hoping to carve out more time to getting back to blogging as I have a huge backlog of posts to share, but my main goal is getting through recovery and physical therapy to get full mobility back.

I hope you are well and please check back as I'll have more posts with new modern dollhouses on the market and some exciting events to share.

22 comments:

  1. That's a bit of a bombshell. So sorry you had to go through that but very happy to read you are doing OK. Wether you get to posting about minis or not, do what your inner guidance tells you to do. Take good care of you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bit of a bombshell. So sorry you had to go through that but very happy to read you are doing OK. Wether you get to posting about minis or not, do what your inner guidance tells you to do. Take good care of you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and post when you can, when you want to. Happy to hear your prognosis is positive and that you are healing. Sending positive healing thoughts and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed you! Looking forward to many interesting and fun posts. CONGRATULATIONS and BE WELL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! :[ I am sorry to hear about your health woes but so glad you are on the mend. Sending you lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Thank you for letting us know. You take care of YOU and we'll keep praying for you. Hope you continue feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya verás como pronto olvidas por todo lo que has pasado. ¡Ánimo! Las minis son una buena terapia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you're a Fighter when it came to this disease, and I am very happy to learn that you are on the mend.
    Good Health is one of those things that you take for granted until you don't have it anymore and working to restore it takes absolute priority.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Universe threw everything it had at you and still you're winning! Add 'Thriver In The Midst Of Overwhelming Challenges' to your resume, and know that you are an extraordinary example to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy you're back! And I am glad to hear that you're fighting through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a physician, and I have treated women for 29 years. Found your site as I just happened to be browsing for a dollhouse for a gift for my wife of 39 years. Can I contact you for some thoughts? I'll ask our daughter also. Thank you, and feel well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy for you that are back and up and running again! Priorities change after an experience like this....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, you were missed. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Sending prayers of happy healing your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed your blogs and am so pleased you are back and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me alegro de que estes de vuelta, cuidate mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been where you now tread. It is a terrifying trip down the rabit hole for sure. I am happy to hear you have emerged in what sounds like a good place. I wish you the best! MIniatures helped me to recover.....gave me a purpose each day. You will find yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life throws us all curve balls at times good for you for being a fighter! It really puts things in perspective. Congrats on being cancer free and I'm so glad you caught it early. Congrats on your dream job. It must be awesome to work for Pandora. And congrats on all of your magazine articles and interviews. It's good to have you back and blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Twice it got me and I'm now cancer free for going on ten years. Take all the time you need!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Twice it got me and I'm now cancer free for going on ten years. Take all the time you need!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy you're back and doing well! We take so much for granted in this world and a health scare like that really makes you and those close to you aware of who and what's important in your lives. You've truly been blessed. Congrats on all your good news! Sending good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed this post. I lost my best friend to cancer in 2012, and her struggle to beat it was scary, difficult, inspiring, and ultimately heart-breaking. I also have three friends who fought and won! I'm so sorry that you had to go through cancer, but so happy to hear that it was caught early and you're doing well. I can't believe you managed to do everything you've done and post anything while dealing with all of that. It's amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry to hear that, but I am glad that you caught it early and that you are on the mend! I'm also impressed with all your doing!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.