Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Traveling Dollhouse of Sisterhood

The Emerson finally makes it's debut. It has been broken in by Modern MC, minimodernistas, my kids, and now it feels properly dressed again. Please click on the pictures to see the larger versions.



The house is 3/4" scale (1:16) but works fairly well with my 1:12 furniture although a 1:12 scale kitchen doesn't work. Pictured next to the fireplace is a vintage 1:18 Lundby kitchen that is a bit too small, but 1:12 kitchens look completely out of place.

One of the perks of building minimodernistas website is the hookups, the other is a great friend. Doris gave me the dollhouse, kitchen and chrome side table awhile back, and on my last visit she gave me several new pieces featured in this house.


All the rugs throughout the house are minimodernistas (new ones will be added to her website soon), plus the Tufted Sofa, V-Leg Day Bed Sofa, Platform Chair and Ottoman, pillows, and 1:18 scale 3 Spheres hanging Lamp. The credenza, coffe table and mirror are by Pepper, MitchyMooMiniatures. The upstairs sofa, chair and pillows are Maryann Roy Welcome Home. Accessories are from mini2B, PRD Miniatures and Kaleidoscope Dollhouse Accessories. The potted orchid is Minisde cris. Square art accessories are by me and will be up in my shop soon.



The dinning table and chairs, table runner and patio furniture are MiniModels. Credenza is minisX2. The grey vases are my Cityscape Vase collection. Accessories are from Neen, Anna-Marie and mini2B. Rugs by minimodernistas.


Framed komonos artwork (coming to her website soon), pillows and rug are by minimodernistas. Dresser, perfume bottles, screen, bed, night stand, lamp and chairs are Maryann Roy Welcome Home. Cubed side table is by me, other decor by PRD Miniatures.

The tub, sink, mirror, and plant are Studio7. Toilet and bath faucet is from minismodernas. Shelf and rug are from ebay.

I love the mid century modern style of The Emerson dollhouse, but photographing it is quite difficult. I have yet to figure out how to shoot through the plastic windows without getting glare and my reflection in the shot. The other problem is what's behind the glass. As you can see right through it, my carpet, closet doors, and anything else in the way make a less than attractive background. If you had your heart set one on of these, it looks like The Emerson and the second version The Edward (darker wood, no electrical) are no longer for sale on Brinca Dada. In fact The Bennet is gone too; so search online if you wanted to buy one as it looks like they are being discontinued by Brina Dada. Below are some more interior and exterior shots of The Emerson.


UndersizedUrbaniteSo, I've had this house for almost two years; the kids have played with it but it was mostly collecting dust. Last weekend I realized I was not going to be able to finish building the kit I wanted to use for the Undersized Urbanite 2014 contest, when a lightbulb went off that I should just use this perfectly good house that I have yet to touch. After digging through my minis to find the best of my mid century modern pieces, I spent several days decorating and figuring out what works where. Setting up the lights and photography took another two days, then blogging about it took a few more. Now I just have to narrow down which photos to submit to the contest.

If you haven't heard of the Undersized Urbanite dollhouse contest it's a fun contest with prizes open to experienced and new miniaturists.

"Any complete space that is designed in miniature, whether it is a single room, a garden, a park, a loft made from a shoebox or a completed official three-story wooden dollhouse. Start with an empty space on September 30, 2013 and finish it however your heart desires by May 5th, 2014." Check out all of the details at www.undersizedurbanite.com.

17 comments:

  1. Oooooohhhh.....How elegant and cool!
    Congrats: The House is amazing with all the details!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's wonderful to see so many of the pieces from my favorite artisans all together. I had to go to your shop and add the Cityscape collection to my wish list. I love the way it looks in the dining room! Great job as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronda. The vases are in Polished Alumide, a new material I'm working with on Shapeways. It has a little sparkle to it, I love it.

      Delete
  3. it's all so cute, that dining room is awesome ..why doesn't the kitchen work? am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the 1:18 Lundby kitchen I'm using is just slightly to small. To match the scale of The Emerson I think the counter tops need to be 1/2" taller. I wasn't happy with the scale so I tried hiding it in the corner without too many photos of the kitchen. It works the best, but when I tested out 1:12 scale kitchens that I had (not in photographs) those looked way to huge in this house. 1:12 furniture worked just not 1:12 scale kitchen. If I find some time I might try to take some more pics to demonstrate.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you! One of my favorite buildings in the world is a 1970s Neutra-designed public library, and I seriously considered buying the Emerson because it has such a similar look. (Unfortunately for me, the ceilings were just too low...it wouldn't have looked right.) In my mind's eye the Emerson is still a tiny library, so it's interesting to see it as a cool midcentury house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would make a cool library, but the ceiling height would make that tricky. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful setting! I dilike the minimalism so fashionable these days. The colours are gorgeous.
    Lots of luck at the contest!
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic modern collection! All the details are perfect together. I do love the stonework beams it reminds me of the houses on the cliffs in cali...memorieeeesssss ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. The "stonework" beams are paper. The down side, is that the exterior got a little sun faded so it has a pink tone to it, but it still looks cool. :D

      Delete
  7. It looks awesome! I love the new cube art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyd! I have to redesign the black sculptural one, as the material was too thin and one section broke, but I'll try to get these up on my shop soon. :D

      Delete
  8. Ha! I'm glad this house is living on and being fabulously decorated. Some great pieces in there, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Glad you like it. :D You can come over and visit any time. (Also, happy to return if you ever miss it)

      Delete
  9. OMG! I love your Emerson House. The furnishings are divine.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.